You’ve written a few drafts of your memoir. The project finally looks like a story, but you’re not sure what story you’re trying to tell. Or maybe you know the story you want to write, but the best structure still eludes you.
You’ve read a bunch of books, taken webinars, and moved a few things around, but every time you share the draft with beta readers, they smile blandly or say, “meh.” Perhaps you’ve received competing advice from agents and editors. One wants a little more of something, the other wants a whole lot less. You want to make the right decision, but WHO DO YOU TRUST?
You don’t need more feedback on the pages you’ve written. You need targeted strategies that can help you develop a bird’s eye view of your book so you can finally see the story—and as a result the best structure—for your memoir.
You also need tools that can help you shift things around without hacking your book to pieces.
Camp Structure: Thirteen Weeks to Define and Refine your Memoir’s Structure
During this intensive program, you’ll work with a small group of writers who have the same structure goals. Together, you’ll learn how Beat Sheets, Synopses, a Misperception Matrix, Backward Outline, and Chapter Summaries can work together to help you identify and refine the structure for your book.
Learn the skills that will help you nail your memoir’s narrative arc, and make it easier to write the next one.
The 2023 Dates are TBA
Writers who’ve written at least one solid draft of their memoir and have a general sense of how they plan to structure their manuscript.
Students and Clients Have Published in
or Have Works Forthcoming From
During this program, you’ll learn:
- The most common structures your memoir can take
- How to find the narrative arc in your memoir
- How to identify the relationship between narrative arc and structure
- How to use various tools like beat sheets, synopses, and chapter summaries to design and refine your book’s structure
Best of all, you’ll experience the invaluable synergy that happens when writers do this work together.
These small group intensives are limited to between 4 – 6 writers.
How does this program work?
The program is divided into two segments that leverage the power of mentorship, accountability and peer-spiration (that’s peer pressure + inspiration) to help make your success inevitable. During the live coaching segment, you’ll receive instruction on issues pertaining to structure, participate in structure workshops, and get your questions answered. During the program’s biweekly “peerspiration” sessions, you’ll sit side-by-virtual-side with fellow writers, share your goals, and work on your own project. (Trust me, you’ll get SO much done!)
During our time together, you’ll get:
- Lifetime access to video modules that will help you understand the key concepts you’ll need to master
- Seven two-hour group coaching sessions, including hot seats, workshops of your project, progress reports, group guidance, and strategic advice from Yours Truly
- Five two-hour peer-spiration sessions where you’ll sit side-by-virtual-side with fellow writers, share your goals, and work on your own project (Trust me, you’ll get SO much done!)
- Written feedback on your beat sheet, synopsis, misperception matrix and a portion of your chapter summaries
- Unlimited email access to me
- Membership in a cohort of motivated, talented writers who will support your success
Who is a good fit for this program?
- This is an intermediate level program best suited for writers who’ve worked through several drafts of their books
- Writers should have a general sense of what their book is about and understand the fundamentals of storytelling
Wondering if that’s you?
“Lisa Ellison’s Camp structure workshop blew my mind! The class content is comprehensive and makes you see your book in a whole new light. I had read and rearranged my manuscript several times; but in Lisa’s class I learned specific techniques that allowed me to read my words with new eyes and make changes that strategically made the story much stronger.”
Kelly MerrillWriter from Tennessee
This is an investment in your book and your writing career.
By the end of our time together…
- you’ll know what story you want to tell,
- understand what success means to you,
- have a clear vision for your book,
- know how to execute it.
When you receive future feedback, you’ll know what serves your story and what to ignore. Best of all, you’ll have confidence in your ability to finish this memoir and have the skills to work efficiently on future books.
This is an investment in you and your success. As a part of this group, you’ll receive a comprehensive workbook, access to lifetime video instruction, and world-class coaching that will take your project to the next level.
And some benefits of this program, like membership in a cohort, are priceless.
Who Might Not Be Ready
- Writers who haven’t completed a first draft
- Writers who are still working through the pain points in their manuscript
Have a few questions?
Check out the program FAQs
*Five payment plans are also available upon request.
“If you are lucky enough to take Lisa’s class, hang onto your hat. You and your story are about to be transformed.”
Margaret HauptWriter from Virginia
Join the Waiting List
“Lisa’s supportive demeanor and well thought out lessons on various ways to understand memoir structure helped me re-think my project in entirely new ways. After a leap of understanding I found through her workshop, I’m now ready to push forward to much more coherent drafts. The end is in sight!”